AMS School History
The Aplington Middle School building was originally built in 1927 as Polo High School. When the current high school was built in 1957, the building became the Junior High and housed seventh and eighth grade students for the district. Over the years, the building has housed a variety of grade levels and programs. Most recently, the building was renamed Aplington Middle School in the mid-1990s. Today, it continues to be the middle school with sixth, seventh, and eighth grade students attending.
Polo Community High School in 1947. In 1957, it would become Polo Junior High. In the early 1990s, it was renamed Aplington Middle School. Notice the flag staff on top of the building. Flag duty must have been an interesting assignment!
Polo's first high school is pictured above. Built in 1895, the building served Polo as the high school until 1927. The building then became known as Congress Grade School until it closed in the mid-1980s. The building still stands, although it could use some repair. Even in its weathered condition, it remains a vivid reminder of many former students' school days.